Each day, more pickles are devoured than ever before, including new and innovative varieties ranging from long, thin flat cuts for stacking on sandwiches to fiery Cajun-flavoured snack pickles. Almost every crunchy vegetable is now pickled in varying degrees of heat, sweetness, and sourness.
Pickling is believed to have originated in ancient Mesopotamia around 2400 BC, according to archaeologists and anthropologists. As early as 1400, the English term "pickle" referred to a "spicy sauce or gravy served with meat or poultry." In Middle Dutch, the term "pickle" referred to "a method of preserving and flavouring food." It was expanded in the modern English language to include brining for preservation and also to refer to the resulting products.
Pickles were fed to Julius Caesar and Napoleon's armies because they were believed to provide physical and spiritual strength. Cleopatra allegedly consumed copious amounts of pickles to maintain her beauty.
For this recipe we will be using the nitrous oxide rapid infusion technique. You will need 1 x 0.5ltr whipped cream dispenser + 2 Whipped cream chargers.
- 0.5 small onion Sliced thin
- 0.5 jalapeno or other small pepper finely chopped
- 2 tsp Korean hot pepper flakes "gochutgaru" or kim chi pepper
- 3 tbsp kosher salt
- 0.5 cups cider vinegar
- 0.25 cups sugar
- 0.5 pounds cucumber English (hothouse,) Asian or pickling cucumbers best
How to make pickled cucumber
- Slice your cucumbers into small slices.
- Place in colander and sprinkle salt over them.
- Combine remaining ingredients, then heat in saucepan while stirring.
- Remove from heat when sugar dissolves.
- Allow the brine to cool. (Place the saucepan in a larger pan with ice water to accelerate this.) Add the cucumber and onion to the brine, mix completely.
- Put your sliced cucumber pieces into your whipped cream dispenser. Do not fill the dispenser more than 2/3rds.
- Screw on the whippers head.
- Use 2 N20 chargers and shake for 20 seconds.
- Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Release the gas from your cream whipper. - Hold up right and place a cup over the nozzle, Release the gas from the dispenser.
- Unscrew the head and pour into a bowl, and enjoy! :)
There you have it. Perfect pickled cucumber in 30~ minutes without compromise or cutting corners resulting in full flavour and deliciousness.